Tuesday 8 February 2011

Speed Picking

Ever since I decided to start improving my rhythm guitar, my picking seems to improved and i have been able to play some awesome picking patterns pretty fast.

Still, I know that I can get myself to go even faster. It is probably common sense, but when playing I notice that I seem to tense my arm a lot. Tensing my arm gives me the impression that i am and can play faster, but in reality it is actually having the opposite effect! I tested this out by playing the same thing while tensing and not-tensing my arm and I play at the same speed if not faster when it is un-tensed.

I think i am gonna make a conscious effort from now on to make sure that i am not playing like this, and hopefully it will become natural.......however, i guess it is not a necessity as John Petrucci (Dream Theater) tenses his arm and can still play ridiculously fast. Each to their own I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on my speed picking skills as well. Now I've just been combining it with scales for some sweet sounding licks.

    ReplyDelete